From:
Meryl Anne Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 16:10:14 -0700
Ferrets are sometimes confiscated at the border of California on the
south eastern (Arizona) side and up north at the border with Oregon.
The ferrets are picked up and then are transferred. They need two
coordinators for the program who call those rescuers/transporters
when a ferret is confiscated. The regulation regarding ferrets can
be found at "can I bring my pets into California" in
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/ExteriorExclusion/borders_faq.html
The border "inspectors" are supposed to confiscate said animals but
they don't have the time, and euthanasia is very bad PR

So for several years there has been a program (and I am not privy to
the exact details) where if someone is found entering CA by the border
station to have a ferret (or are silly enough to say they have one),
that the border/agriculture inspection person calls the program
coordinator(s) to have someone (apparently in CA) come and pick it up
and take it. Then it gets picked up and goes to a safe place - maybe
they promise to drive it out of state - I'm unclear about the outcome.

I have permission to post a copy of the email - from the founder and
moderator of the rescue effort (who is in northern CA) - to the FML
just in case someone can help with this. She asks for a southern and
northern CA coordinator. I doubt its a very frequent situation where
animals are confiscated , but if you are interested in knowing more
details and coordinating the ferret rescues - either for southern
or northern CA PLEASE contact Hildy, her email follows. If you know
someone who is in CA and who does not have ferrets but may be an animal
lover and interested in helping them please copy Hildy's email that
follows and send it to them :

From the Ca ferret exchange list serv with permission from Hildy to
post: "From "ferret ware" <[log in to unmask]>

As founder and moderator of this group, and the former rescue director
for the CA Domestic Ferret Association, I am pleading for the CA ferret
community to step up and help ferrets. Hundreds, if not thousands, of
ferrets have been rescued from the CA Agricultural Inspection Stations.
Dozens of volunteers have driven thousands of miles to save the life
of a ferret. The coordinators of this program, one in N CA and the
other in S CA, can no longer participate in the program. It is URGENT
that we find one or two people to coordinate the program. This requires
management and organizational skills, managing a group of volunteers
that pick up and transport ferrets from the 16 inspection stations. The
lead coordinator is responsible for maintaining a relationship with the
director of the CA Dept of Food and Agriculture, the department that
manages the inspection stations.

If you're interested, please understand you must be able to present
a professional image and maintain a civil attitude when dealing with
state officials. Ferrets are illegal in CA and arguing with someone
who wants to work with us is counter-productive.

This program is only for the inspection stations, not in-state rescue
of ferrets from city or county shelters. That program is managed under
the oversight of the CA Dept of Fish & Game. If you're interested
please respond and I will forward your reply to the appropriate person.
Please include your reasons for volunteering, and your qualifications.
Please understand, you may be pressed into service, picking up a ferret
and driving hundreds of miles to deliver it to an out of state shelter.
A reliable vehicle with air conditioning is mandatory. No fund exists
to pay your expenses, it is all about rescuing ferrets. Serious
inquiries only please! Thank you."

I do hope she finds some people. Please contact her at her email
address if you think you can help with the coordination or need to
find out about the frequency of the rescue calls. The various Ag
stations (16) are shown at
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/borders_map.html

Meryl