From:
Lavon Grahn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 02:37:37 -0700
June 14th, 2000 10 p.m. That's the day my life changed in ways I never
dreamed of!

My 30 lb. cat Kia was in the back yard staggering around like he was
very drunk, and it scared me..I thought he might be having a stroke.
When I reached him I realized he was just following an adorable little
black ferret who was trying to sniff everything in sight. I'd never
been near a ferret but I was pretty sure that was what he was.

I picked the ferret up and brought him inside and decided maybe he was
having the stroke instead, because of the gyrations, tumbles, leaps and
funny noises he was making. I know now it was a very happy war dance by
a young ferret!

I called the local 24 hour emergency vet hospital and asked what to do
with him and what to feed him. They said the cat food would be fine,
and they would be happy to take him off my hands if I wanted. While I
was on the kitchen phone, he was in the living room digging up the two
large ficus trees I had watered earlier; I've never seen so much moist
dirt cover so much carpet in so little time.

While I was cleaning up the damp dirt, he went in the kitchen and
overturned the big bowl of fresh water I'd put down for the cats;
I've never seen so much water go so far so fast!

He spent the night in a large carrier, and the next morning I sped
to the Petco nearby for ferret food. While I was there I skimmed the
'Ferrets for Dummies' cover to cover so I had a little better idea
what I was dealing with. I put up "found ferret" posters all over the
neighborhood, but no one called to collect him, and after a couple
days I was so smitten with this little one I was glad no one called.

There was a vet tech at my local clinic who had ferrets, and I had the
good sense to make her a mentor and good friend, best decision I made
in years. She introduced me to one of the local shelters and I had
three ferrets in no time, and the fun began. I started fostering and
volunteering and never looked back. At one time I had cages all over
the house, and about 27 ferrets in my care.

I've settled down and now keep the number down to about 11, mostly old
timers who need hospice. As I get older I have more empathy with the
old guys, and they seem to thrive here because now that I've retired I
devote my days to caring for them, still loving every minute I interact
with them. I'm totally hooked on the joy they bring, and like so many
of us, I can't imagine life without them!

Didn't mean to ramble, but when I get started on the subject of ferrets
I don't have an 'off' button. You know what I mean....

Lavon, in Portland Or.