From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:42:44 -0700
Please be sure when you post about Pred, you clarify if you are
referring to Prednisolone or Prednisone. They are not the same product
and they do not cost the same. They come in tablet or liquid forms.

Interestingly enough, it seems supplies are effected differently in
different states. A couple of years ago, I could get Prenisolone tabs
in NY, but friends in Pittsburgh, Pa. could not. This past year I came
home with my batch of Prenisolone tabs, only to have it read Prednisone
on the label. No one at the vet office bothered to tell me I was not
getting what I wanted. I called to exchange them and I was told I got
Prednisone because Prednisolone tablets were not longer available. I
therefore switched to liquid Prednisolone from the Pet Health Pharmacy
which compounded it for me with Tutti Frutti flavor and sesame seed oil
which helps as a stabilizer to increase shelf life. I asked my vet to
call in and okay a larger amount because I had just added three ferrets
to the list of those in need of it. I get it under one ferret's name.

As Jeff said yesterday, this pharamcy will figure out prices, doses and
quantities, but you need to know which strength (ratio of mgs/mls) you
are using if you use liquids. 50 mg/ml is stronger than 25 mg/ml and
10mg/ml is weaker still etc. The stronger the med concentration the
less you give, therefore you need to know the mg/ml concentration your
vet ordered to talk turkey with the pharmacists there. I just love
dealing with all their staff. If you give them the answers to their
questions, they will sort anything out for you. The worse case scenario
for me is that I have to call back my vet and ask him to have his tech
call in a change in concentration or total amount I need for my named
ferret. Hope this helps.

I was also warned by my vet last fall to expect a big jump in
Prednisolone cost when re-ordering. We went through the same thing
where compounded Diazoxide cost about $15.00 more in NY than
Connecticut. Then that compounding pharmacist called me to tell me my
diazoxide order went from $52.00 plus $8.00 postage to over $90. plus
postage. Off I went to Pet Health Pharmacy in Arizona. I even chuckled,
we jumped several state borders to have postage be less than a state
that is right next door. Go figure!

Cathy
Today is the best day to do a good deed.

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3