Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2013 06:29:55 +0000
As one who has used the Deslorelin implant for many ferrets, I can say
that I much prefer it to Lupron Depot, and although more expensive
initially, it lasts a lot longer. In the long run, it is cheaper, and
also necessitates fewer vet visits. However, the 12-18 month window of
effectiveness that you mention is incorrect. 12 months is the high end,
and that is for a ferret that either does not have adrenal disease, or
has early-stage adrenal disease. The more advanced the adrenal disease,
the sooner you would need to re-implant with Deslorelin. 6-12 months
is the realistic length of effectiveness. Also, if the ferret does
have adrenal disease, using a melatonin implant in addition to the
Deslorelin provides the best non-surgical treatment of the disease.
Melatonin implants can be effective from 3-6 months, depending on the
stage of the disease. I personally use melatonin implants for all of
my ferrets, and if/when they actually develop adrenal disease, I then
add a Deslorelin implant.

Jeff

Caring for Boomer, Zoomer, Gemini, Bella, Pinky, Simba, & Nala

In memory of Luna, Neo, Sweet Sylvie, Baby Girl, Dozer, Morphy,
Trinity, Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Pop, Pip, Possum, Hunny, Mr. Parker,
Misty, Frodo, Baggins