From:
Lisa Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:53:17 -0700
It was mentioned to me that I should tell our story so folks would
understand the WHY we started Rescuer's Relief, Inc. ...so here goes

One year makes such a difference.... September 1st, 2012, I hit
BURNOUT.. working full-time (change of contract and worried about
layoffs and a whole new computer system to learn) -- behind on school
work still behind.. urghh) and running a ferret shelter filled to the
brim and juggling my schedules , vet appts and volunteers schedules..
nope... no reason to BURN OUT.

Guess what I did next..?? I had a HEART ATTACK... I eat right, was
fairly active, not OLD, don't smoke, rarely drink, low cholesterol, ...
but still STRESS induced MIA (heart attack) .. 100% from BURNOUT

The doctors are still baffled-- seems all my arteries are clear.. my
heart is strong.. but in the last 12 months I ended up in cardiac
care 6 times -- average stay 3-4 days each time.. nearly every visit
included a heart cath ... I'm a million dollar woman.

During my Spring hospital visit I was lying in the bed and instead of
worrying about me.. I was realizing how very lucky I was to have a
group of volunteers already in place to take over and let me heal..
That got me thinking about all you other shelter/rescue folks.. If
you don't get a break.. you could end up lying exactly where I was or
worse..

Silently, I wished-- I could find a way to help these wonderful people
(many I already call friends although we haven't actually met) step
back and breathe.. take a vacation.. or just a nap.. BUT... HOW??

The angels were listening-- our neighbor was selling their Rv at an
incredible deal... step one

I mustered my courage.. and told my husband I wanted to sell
everything, quit my good paying but stressful job.. and become a
traveling ferret sitter.. blog about the journey and maybe write a
book about the adventure.. crossing as many items off my bucket list
as I could before I am too old to enjoy the trip.

Amazingly, he didn't hesitate.. he said YES.. and has been so happy
ever since thinking and planning our time working together.. 30 years
and I still am amazed by this man.

Next-- I told my friends of our plan, and asked several of them if they
would help us make the dream possible.. we needed to be non-profit to
apply for grants, and sponsorships.. and we NEED sponsors.. because I
want to offer our services FREE to rescues.. so Rescuer's Relief, Inc.
was born.

Happy Anniversary Heart-- thanks for TICKING along!!

Lisa Watson
Ex. Director
Rescuer's Relief, Inc.
Founder