From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 08:50:31 -0400
Hi Dan --

I'm not sure how much I can help you regarding cystine bladder stones,
but I think some ferrets are genetically predisposed.

I had one of the first known ferrets to have cystine bladder stones
back in 1992. Way back then there was no reference, no medications,
no anything because only struvite stones had been seen in ferrets (at
least in my general area). Claudia was a pet store ferret. She went
through two separate surgeries to remove the stones. We tried lower
protein diets and supplementing with cottage cheese (which she was NOT
having); we tried prescription diets from Hills. What ended up working
for Claudia was a combination of medications designed for use in dogs.
My vet and I were at wits' end trying to figure out what to do, so one
night we sat in the clinic reviewing his manuals and he asked me if we
wanted to try these drugs on her.

The drugs were Tiopronin and Policitra-K. It's been many years now
since Claudia's left us, so I can't remember the dosages, but she went
from constant pain and surgeries to living a full happy life until 7
years of age. What got her in the end was a combination of adrenal and
insulinoma.

The reason I suspect some ferrets may be genetically predisposed is
because most of us feed the same basic type of diet, and yet only a
handful of ferrets develop this problem. Of course, many more ferrets
have been diagnosed in the years since Claudia first presented, so
there is probably a good deal more information available. I know Sukie
Crandall has dealt with these as well.

I'm happy to pass the name of my vet to you offline from the list...
not sure what he'd remember or how much more experience he's had
specifically with these uroliths, but he may have info stashed away
somewhere.

Amy, Dave, Sarah and Paul
And our last little girl, Emma
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia, Sidney, Max, Hannah, Fritz, Fiona, Felix,
Rory, Clara and Lila
Missing Tasha