From:
Andrea M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:38:51 -0700
After hearing many stories about children losing interest, or
accidentally hurting a ferret, my attitude for a long time was
children + ferrets = not a good idea ever. BUT, then I met some really
responsible and dedicated children and teenagers and have come to
believe it is possible for an older child or teenager to own a ferret.

The biggest factor is: are the parents and family 100% behind caring
for this ferret if the child does not or can not. Let's face it, there
is going to be a whole lot of change in that child's life in the next
5 - 8 years. From 9 years old to 16 years old there is middle school,
puberty, high school, proms and dating. Heck, the child could discover
they are a musical prodigy and have to go to lessons or practice every
night...and where would the attention to the ferret be then. That is
when the parents and family need to be willing and able to step in and
say "This ferret has a place in our house for its whole life, we will
make sure it gets proper food, water, exercise, vet care, etc"

I guess what I am saying is the parents should be interested and want
a ferret too, not just the child. If everyone is on board, then go for
it! Find a shelter or rescue and adopt a furry baby that is waiting for
a home, they make great pets.

Here is a rescue for ferrets and rats in Vancouver, BC but they do not
have a shelter location to visit:
http://www.littlemischiefrescue.org/contact.html

If they are looking to take a road trip, Washington Ferret Rescue and
Shelter is a great shelter they can visit in the Seattle area that has
adoptable ferrets (although I don't know if they can adopt to people
in Canada, and/or how hard it would be to cross the border with a new
animal ??): http://www.washingtonferret.org/

Here is the Washington Ferret Rescue and Shelter info on ferrets:
http://www.washingtonferret.org/ferrets.htm

I highly recommend the book "Ferrets for Dummies" by Kim Schiling for
research about owning, or potentially owning a ferret.

Hope everything works out for your co-worker.

Take care,
Andrea Moncada