Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 10:38:46 -0400
There is frustration when trying to find FZZ info because the lists
do not appear to be online any longer and because changes were not
documented, but part of the situation seems to be that in some other
places besides CA and HI there may well be a drift away from
prosecuting even when laws still are on the books.

This may sound strange, but since general animal shelters have to be
aware of local laws maybe checking with those and local branches of
the ASPCA in any locations you are considering may be useful.

I think that prosecution for ones in numerous small FZZs are just so
rare that people do not know. In some cases I think that rather than be
overturned the bans will just become forgotten laws till they finally
come off the books amid much laughter in some late date clean-up like
many early auto laws.

SLC might have overturned its ban or may not consider ferrets farm
animals any longer (which was the basis of the ban there) or may just
be ignoring it from what people have said to me recently. If what a few
have said to me is accurate in general then NYC and DC still ban but if
people are not overt it seems to be largely ignored. One of the twin
cities, I think St. Cloud, might have dumped the ban or mostly be
ignoring it from what others have mentioned in recent years.

OBVIOUSLY, situations where there could be a ban in place might pose
a risk if people are not low key.

Ever since the CDC work on how rabies behaves in ferrets and the
National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians including
ferrets in the same category as dogs and cats in the Compendium
http://www.nasphv.org/Documents/RabiesCompendium.pdf
a large number of towns and cities which had banned ferrets removed the
bans and others began ignoring the bans far more because vaccination
is more respected in those locations after the data better defined the
risk of a ferret transmitting rabies (which is theoretical) once the
behavior of multiple strains of the virus in ferrets was known. For a
recent bit of info on some rabies exposures to people from other
unvaccinated pets (and other sources):
http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20130713.1823348

I do not know of any FZZ list that does not predate those Compendium
changes, so what you could do is to maybe find one of those lists
(Good Luck!) -- which at this point might mean asking if anyone has
one in their personal files -- and then try for updates with people
specifically in those locations in your questions.

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/