From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:30:25 -0600
Forgive me as I come late into this discussion, so if I have
misinterpreted something, please let me know.

My opinion on this topic is.... I don't see the variation on kibble
size that outrageous a problem.

Why? Because the size that ferrets come in also varies. And
personalities vary. It doesn't matter which ferret foods I feed our
group, someone is either wolfing it down and not chewing, or choking
on a piece for whatever reason. The reason I say for whatever reason,
is because I find ferret food bits in the water bowl. Those are the
ferrets that are soaking the pieces before they eat them. Not all do
it, and it works for the few that do. Some of my ferrets can't wait to
eat fast because they feel the competition from other ferrets. This
usually happens with the newcomers who don't understand that food is
readily available and they don't have to fight over it. And lastly,
because I can't think of anymore, is that, ferrets have various sizes
of tracheas and that has more to do with genetics than the size of the
ferret.

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, but
size of trachea does not equate with size of ferret, at least not
necessarily. It's akin to human babies when they are born, some having
defects of a larger means and others just minor. And babies too are
born in various sizes.

Now as I recall way back when Performance Foods first made their
appearance at one of our ferret symposiums, that they stated that the
shape the kibble was created, was specifically designed for the ferret
to be able to comfortably grab the piece and crunch on it. That is the
basis for size and shape. My littlest of ferrets does very well chewing
each piece, and then being a good little cleaner upper and finding
every little crumb from that piece that she broke off from the
original. Then there was Ping, my beloved little ferret with black girl
attitude. She choked on a mouse and suffered for about three hours
until the thing passed. (I couldn't get it out and it was too far in,
but she managed and learned a lesson to eat slower in the meantime.)
So, when I think of the size of even a pinky or hopper, compared to a
piece of kibble, there is no comparison. And no problem as I see it.

If I did have a ferret who was constantly choking on food, I would try
soaking the food, doing a light grind, or taking the ferret to the vet
to have its throat checked out. Throat infections may cause choking,
and a build up of fluid would too. In any case, I hope the issue with
your ferret passes and is only temporary or correctable by other means.

betty and her blurs o'furs
For the Love of Ferrets...
Caring for the unloved, unwanted, mistreated, misunderstood and
medically challenged for nearly 30 years