From:
The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 05:37:58 -0700
I'm sure by the time I send this in, Sukie will have posted with her
usual excellent job of providing us with properly researched info.
Until then I found this very informative, easy to read article:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dedistemper.html

Please note while the distemper virus is not exceptionally hardy or
'viable', its persistent enough to make it a serious threat if you as a
Ferret owner or caregiver are exposed to it, if one of your other pets
is exposed to it, and there are a couple of other not too difficult
means of transmission as well.

Personally I keep my kids well and properly vaccinated until at least
their tiders are high enough to cover them and except for the
occasional ferret who can't be vaccinated, I wonder why others don't
as well. Even with tiders, on the rare occasion we have an outbreak
here, everyone gets re-upped.

Hope that helps someone ...

Brenda, Momma to the FurpeopleWeyr