From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2013 23:05:56 -0700
>Ann, I have a problem. My 19 year old grandson in living with us. He
>went to a tournament today and called from there asking if he could
>bring a kitten home. He said it is "ok but it has distemper"!!!! I
>freaked out. He has been holding a kitten with distemper. I need to
>know how to disinfect him thoroughly when he gets home. And is feine
>distemper the same as Canine???? My heart is up in my mouth!!!

An animal with distemper is not "OK". Feline distemper is different
from canine distemper, but I still would be very very cautious about
this.

Distemper is amazingly contagious, and easy to spread. I've seen it
spread on skin, even when all clothing was changed between sick and
well animals. If it were me, he'd change all clothing in the garage,
used clothing would be put in a plastic bag and taken directly to a
hot wash.

Your son would go directly to a long, hot shower, and the clothes he
wore between garage and shower would be washed with the others in a HOT
wash. The shoes should be sprayed down with parvocide or bleach before
coming into the house.

Even with this sort of precaution, it can spread. That's why I am so
adamant that all ferrets should be up to date on distemper
vaccinations. It's just not worth the risk.

Kevin Farlee
WFRS