From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 14:40:33 -0700
Although not exclusive to ferret food, this article and the AAFC
website listed below provide great information about how commercial pet
food in general (which does include ferret food) is made (manufacturing
process), explains package labeling (pet food standards & ingredient
requirements), AND provides the names and contact information of pet
food companies and the appropriate persons to contact at these
companies.

DISCLAIMER: This article was published in 2007 but I've found the
information to still be correct and applicable.
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

And here's the official webpage of AAFC - The Association of American
Feed Control - which provides information on the many facets of pet
food from starting a pet food business to ingredients and labeling
requirements, how to determine calorie content in the food, organic
requirements, marketing guidelines, and other related links.
http://www.petfood.aafco.org/Home.aspx

I currently don't have ferrets but do have two young dogs and in my
quest to ensure their daily nutritional needs were being met from
commercial pet food (dry kibble mainly), I began searching for
nutritional guidelines for dogs but was shocked to find that such
little information existed on this subject! So here's I'm asking
myself:

1. How can I know if my dogs are getting the RDA (recommended daily
allowances) of protein, carbs, fats, and vitamins and minerals when
these figures haven't even been clearly established?

2. How can I know if the commercial food I'm feeding them is meeting
their needs (even IF I knew how much of these different components
they need)?

Mind you, I'm a very conscience label reader and am careful to read and
understand the nutritional labeling and guaranteed analysis information
on commercial pet food products but TRUST ME - that information doesn't
tell you much when you realize what it is you REALLY need to know (the
specifics for each pet's breed, metabolic weight, minimal caloric
intake requirement, etc.)

So even though all of the information provided many not completely
apply specifically to ferrets, is very detailed at times, and can be
a bit tricky to understand, I think it can still be helpful to ferret
owners (who may also be owners of other animal breeds).

Jennifer (and her ridiculously beautiful but neurotic canines, Sadie &
Pepper)

Our purpose in life is to find our gift, perfect it, and give it back
to others
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog
the world will change forever