From:
Lonny Eachus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 22:27:21 -0700
While I am all for being on the safe side, it is simply not helpful to
tell EVERYONE to worry about heartworm.

The fact is that while heartworm can be deadly, preventative treatment
is also known to be rather harsh. And as with any medicine, one must
balance with risk with the benefit. Further, while it may be present in
"every state", it should be kept in mind that most states have areas
that vary widely in climate and terrain.

I do urge everyone to research heartworm in their area, and because it
is so prevalent, if there is any doubt a preventative should be given.

But I have no such doubt. When I first got a ferret I did my research,
and in my entire area (which I define to be about a 150 mile radius),
there have only been 2 cases of heartworm reported in ANY animals EVER,
and both of those were dogs that their owners had brought here from far
away.

I am not trying to play down the seriousness of heartworm. I'm just
saying that people should do their own research when possible.

Lonny Eachus