From:
Lindsey Breed Tootle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 08:41:02 -0500
I am aware that the Giving Tree has an issue where folks sign up to
sponsor a ferret and then do not follow through. Nearly all of us work
very hard and lead extremely busy lives. IF I were to choose a ferret
on October 15th or anytime in October or November I would run the risk
of forgetting I had done so! Recently I bid on ferret item in an
auction over a month ago and won. When I was notified that I had won I
truly could not believe I had forgotten I had bid in the first place!
It is not unusual for me to work 60 hours a week. So my point is do you
have a system set up to:

1) Remind the person of their commitment via email, on their Facebook
page etc... "Hi, This is Santa, on October 15th you choose Sweet Pea
to provide her with much needed gifts on Christmas. This is just a
reminder during this busy holiday season"....

I understand completely how busy directors are running their shelter.
The director should choose a "Santa's Helper" (or create a team of
people for large rescues) who will be completely in charge of the
ferrets on the tree for their rescue. The main job should be following
whose gifts come in and sending out a pre-approved reminder messages by
Melanee. The last reminder should be a phone call! "If circumstances
have changed in your life and you cannot participate and help Sweet Pea
we understand, we just need to know so I can "re-hang" Sweet Pea on the
tree". A kind message. Life can throw curve balls at us all. Please...
remember to call, email, write a thank you note for gifts received.

2) Set a cutoff date for gift arrival. No gifts received by December
10th simply "rehang" the ferret. When a ferret is "RE-HANGED" use some
color to advise the public so they will know a commitment fell through.

3) FACEBOOK, FACEBOOK, FACEBOOK! You must keep this in front of people!
Every three weeks remind your public! Just a general message..."If you
have chosen a ferret to sponsor this Christmas, please make sure you
have mailed gifts out. Then readers will cross post as well.

I am sure some or all of this has been thought of! Each year I keep
reading sad stories of the wee ones who are "forgotten" and feel so sad
on Christmas morning knowing so many little ones were left "hanging" on
the tree!

So let the hanging begin! We pray that all the little ones will receive
a token of love and affection from their Secret Santa!

Happy Holidays!
Lindsey Tootle
Dallas, Texas