From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:49:20 -0400
Simba came to me at the tender age of 12 weeks sometime in 95 or 96.
He was a biter and the home had two schnauzers that were not ferret
friendly. Simba had quite the time adjusting in our home and learning
that he wasn't going to be harmed. About a year ago Simba became
adrenal, he got a deslorelin implant and grew back his beautiful light
pumpkin colored coat. About 6 weeks ago Simba had as much as possible
of a large fibrosarcoma removed from over his neck and shoulder area.
We knew in time the fibrosarcoma would grow back and his time is
limited in our realm. Three weeks after surgery the tumor started
regrowing. A second surgery is not an option due to the location and
type of tumor. Recently I noticed hairloss starting again. A week ago
Simba started having difficulty urinating. This past week Simba has
been to the vet multiple times to have his bladder flushed. Our regular
vet was on vacation this week, but on Monday when Simba was blocked he
came in to unblock and flush his bladder while showing another vet how
it is done on ferrets. Simba blocked again late night and then again on
Wednesday so two more trips to the vet. Blocked again on Thursday while
staying the day at the clinic, blocked again on Friday after several
hours of normal flow. Simba had ultrasounds that showed an enlarged
prostate and another growth in the same area on Monday. It is difficult
to determine which is causing the urination problems. Sediment in
urinalyses, lots of white blood cells but no stones found. Yesterday a
catheter was inserted yet again and stitched to him to keep it in his
urethra (he pulled out two catheters himself previously). By 8pm last
night Simba was in clear distress and could not urinate even with the
catheter. Fortunately Autumn and Nate were visiting and Autumn was able
to get the stitches and catheter out. Before the evening was over and
shortly after I gave Simba a very small amount of pain reliever, he was
able to urinate a fair amount. This morning he urinated normally. I'm
cautiously hopeful that he will continue to urinate without
intervention.

Through all of this, Simba has kept up a great appetite. After his
fibrosarcoma surgery he gained about 1/2 pound. He seems bright and
alert when he's not blocked. He cuddles with his companions and enjoys
his NBone treats. He's on lupron, finasteride, baytril, and steroids.
We are doing all that we can think of without being more invasive in
his terminal state. He's such a strong boy with a strong will to live.

Autumn and Nate have been very helpful this last week. Our vet clinic
is a 50 minute drive from my house and I work another 30 minutes away
in the opposite direction from home so traveling to the vet and still
being able to be at work regular hours isn't possible without help.
Autumn met me at the clinic, kept Simba overnight after a midnight
emergency run to get him unblocked, to drop him off after the clinic
opened the next morning, met me in the wee early hours Friday to drop
him off after the clinic opened, brought him home last evening and took
the stitches and catheter out last night. They even brought supper for
us last night. It's been a whirlwind week for all of us and they've
certainly stepped up to the plate to help throughout.

Please send healing thoughts, prayers, energies to Simba. This little
one can use all the help he can get. I don't want to have to make the
decision to euthanize him after all he's been through, but at this
point if he doesn't stay unblocked I don't know another option. Have a
catheter inserted to drain him every day is not an option. We've done
that and he's sore from having it done repeatedly this week. It isn't
a pleasant feeling, I've been there myself.

Simba has another vet appointment on Monday. Hope this will be a
positive one.

Candy Skittles was one of the rainbow exotic ferrets, rescued by Gerri,
that joined us in 2006. Her original name was Skittles, but Gerri
couldn't remember which candy she was named after so she became Candy
Skittles, which for Gerri was easier to remember. Candy Skittles has
always been a bit nippy but also enjoyed cuddles on her terms when she
wanted them. :-) A couple months ago she had some type of seizure that
our vet thought might be heart related. She did have insulinoma but
this was not a low sugar seizure. She was so sensitive that just trying
to eat or my touching her caused seizures. We got her stabilized but
knew it would only be a matter of time. Her appetite was good, she
could enjoy cuddles and snuggling again. Her breathing recently became
labored and she was scheduled to see our vet on Monday. Candy Skittles
left our realm on her own terms, yesterday. RIP sweet Candy Skittles.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org