From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 08:57:44 +0100
Thank you FML listers for your replies.

Firstly I want to clear up a couple of issues. Firstly, the shed is
purpose built, from new materials, for my ferrets. It is a standard 8x6
garden shed with a 4.5x6 pen outside. There is a cat flap so the
ferrets can go outside whenever they want. In the inside of the shed
are a variety of cat towers, cat pyramids and wooden boxes accessed by
ramps. In the outside pen, which they can access 24/7 is a small hutch,
also fitted with a cat flap, a small cat house and various toys and
litter trays. The floor is lined with vinyl flooring. Lighting is solar
-- no live wires, or anything nasty. We clean the shed with Safe n
Clean pet disinfectant and hot water.

We thought the shed was well ventilated, but when the temperature in
our garden went from literally snowing to a couple of days later, 28
degrees, we were caught out (it got hotter at the top of the shed,
where our thermometer was, due to the black roof and our garden is
south facing. Our vets are still not certain it was heatstroke by the
way -- the mystery was why the ferrets didn't just go outside. The
falling out of the hammock theory was never proven and subsequent
events prove it was unlikely. Other ferret owners in the area did not
have the same problem, despite the sudden heatwave.

We lost two of our ferrets before this incident, and two of them were
already showing signs of illness. Buffy's pneumothorax did not appear
to be traumatic -- no bruising on her body, for instance and x-rays
showed no injury (except the pneumothorax, of course). My exotics vet
said a spontaneous or traumatic pneumothorax in ferrets is almost
unheard of.

Subsequent to the incident, we have spent considerable time and money
trying to heat-proof the shed and add even more ventilation, even
though we were not certain why it had happened as it did.

Before we got the ferrets, we were assessed by Woodgreen Animal
Shelter, which is an organisation with a superb reputation. They don't
just hand them over. For a start, our minimum requirements were that
the ferrets had to be kept outdoors in 60 sq ft of shed/pen. We based
our shed on specifications from their ferret section and they were
thrilled to see what we had done. The whole set up cost us little shy
of 1000 GBP. Over the last six months we have spend well over 2000 GBP
on vets fees -- initially with our standard vets (who are very good)
but later with the exotics vets, as the situation got more complicated.
We have gone over everything we a fine tooth come -- chucking food and
getting fresh bags, even though the initial bag was only a week old,
cleaning the shed with an inch of its life, checking bedding, laundry
detergent, litter, water bowls... comparing our set up with other
ferret owners in the area, including other rescues... Short of
demolishing everything and starting again, I'm not sure what else we
could do.

Our water is safe and we are not aware of any environmental toxins in
the area, but that is being investigated, of course. All the obvious
poisons have been ruled out.

I do not appreciate messages suggesting I'm an abusive, neglectful
ferret owner and particularly messages that I should give my remaining
ferret, who is still sick, back to a rescue. If this is contagious
that's probably the worst advice in the world, quite apart from the
fact that I am not a stupid or cruel person. This is breaking my heart
and bankrupting me and I really don't know where to turn next. I have
one ferret left out of six and we could well lose him. I've brought him
inside and have a brand new hospital cage for him as instructed by my
vet, just in case it is some bizarre toxin. He's sitting next to me on
the bed now, and every time I cuddle him, I tear up. Anyone who wants
to kick me when I'm down, just be aware that I'm about as 'down' as I
can go.

As for my dog, we have no idea if its connected. It doesn't seem to
be, but with everything that's happened, you have to wonder. I'm just
worried sick about everyone in the family now, and probably quite
paranoid. His symptoms are consistent with pyelonephritis (kidney
infection) and he's improving, albeit slowly (which is also consistent
with the diagnosis of kidney infection).

Thank you to those of you who have been kind. To the rest, maybe you
shouldn't judge or jump to conclusions.

Anna Hayward