Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 03:34:05 -0500
From:
Lest anyone think that learning the types of microbes ferrets have in
their intestines is only relevant to dietary limitations and digestive
abilities, please, think again. There is work linking over-represtation
of some types of bacteria to increased rates of inflammatory disorders
and to increased rates of autoimmune diseases, possibly to mood and
some mental illnesses, and recent work indicates that a dearth of
certain intestinal microbes causes some types of chemotherapy to work
less well. For the last see the most recent issue of Science. I have
read descriptions of some of the work, but the journal just arrived
today so no chance to read it yet.

I looked up descriptive articles for you:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131122115758.htm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-11/ind-cwo112213.php

The representation of microbial types is affected by diet (with some
types being unable to set up shop in rodent studies if the rodents
have diets low in fiber and high in fat), so unlike us omnivores the
hypercarnivores and the subset of hypercarnivores who are obligate
carnivores may be unable to utilize some types of chemo very well,
depending on which bacteria are needed for their optimal use. (That
said, even with one aggressive type of lymphoma that humans get recent
work indicates that a milder maintenance chemo gives better survival
than a hard hitting approach, so there is a lot to rethink in relation
to chemo, anyway.)

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/nov2013/nci-13.htm

Oh, and I shared this with Heather after her question and with the FHL
moderators earlier:

http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/encyclopedia/carnivore/
but it looks like the zoo journal papers I had giving the percentages
of protein and other nutrients in things like mouse and chick whole
carcasses might have been lost when my hard drive overheated years ago.
If i am lucky I will find them in a weird place on the computer (which
has happened with several things) but my eye is not up to intensive
searching.

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/