From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 22:10:32 -0700
Of late I have seen conversations on varied internet locations
concerning hoarding. Back in March we had a very sad cat rescue take
place in Wyoming County, NY. Hundreds of cats were found in filthy
conditions. Many were ill and had to be euthanized. It was heart
warming to see how many organizations came to the rescue of these poor
creatures. I worked one of the days two of vets from the Erie County
ASPCA came to examine the last of the remaining cats. There were
something like seventeen euthanasias that took place while I was there,
as their conditions were too far gone to be treatable. It was a heart
breaking experience.

I had a long conversaton with one vet and was floored to hear her say
that the National ASPCA and SPCA's have reached a point where they are
pretty much assuming that most Directors are hoarders. The problems of
hoarding are rampant and monumental. I wanted to share this site and
the information below. If you see situations like this developing,
please be one to give a voice to the animals.

Cathy Ryan

Excerpt from the ASPCA site
http://www.aspca.org/fight-cruelty/animal-hoarding/animal-hoarding-faq

Do Hoarders Often Pose as Rescue Groups or Sanctuaries?

Absolutely. Research shows many hoarders are beginning to set
themselves up as "rescue shelters," complete with 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit status. They may appear to be sensible people,
persuasively conveying their love for animals and readiness to take
those who are sick and with special needs. Furthermore, the Internet
appears to be becoming a great tool for solicitation. "When looking to
place an animal, it is easy for a person to get seduced by a pretty
website," points out Lockwood. "We need to caution people to look
behind the curtain before giving over an animal." Here are several
signs that a rescue group or shelter may involve a hoarder:

* The group is unwilling to let visitors see the location where
  animals are kept.
* The group will not disclose the number of animals in its care.
* Little effort is made to adopt animals out.
* More animals are continually taken in, despite the poor condition
  of existing animals.
* Legitimate shelters and rescue organizations are viewed as the
  enemy.
* Animals may be received at a remote location (parking lot, street
  corner, etc.) rather than at the group's facilities.

Today is the best day to do a good deed.

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3