From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:58:24 -0400
If people suggest sucralfate or its generic which is Carafate then
havebthe treating vet or a veterinary pharmacy carefully check first
since w some heart meds, for example with Digoxin, those meds can NOT
be safely added. There may also be online write ups on the two meds
being given which say which other meds can not be combined with them
but make sure that if both veterinary meds and human meds are given
to check lists pertaining to both.

The treating vet has no ideas? There are anti nausea meds for strong
nausea but I do not know which ones ferrets can have is such a
situation.

Is the nausea not from the meds but from the heart size? Decades ago we
had a ferret with both Dilative cardiomyopathy and a heart tumor. Her
esophagus wound up too crowded. She was one of the ones we were then
able to take in who had severe deformations and in her case also the
equivalent of serious intellectual problems, and in her last months had
sometjing like eight severe medical problems simultaneously with five
being potentially fatal. We had to switch to a diet of a/d mixed with a
lot of water, baby food mixed with a lot of water, egg, and some other
things. Going to a slurry diet got her another six months and she liked
it. In some such cases the ferret will need to be held w the head and
neck rather vertical as with feeding a ferret who has megaE. Be careful
when giving food that way to avoid aspiration which can be fatal. See
instructions on that here:
http://www.miamiferret.org/megaesophagus.htm
AND
have the treating vet give hands on instruction.

There may be alternative reasons for the nausea, for example heart
disease and kidney disease can go hand in hand, so the treating vet
needs to be consulted and if need be that vet may use consultants.

Because the vomiting problem w heart disease and complications
mentioned herein like the compressed esophagus are unusual have your
friend take this message in full to the treating vet at the appt.