From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:35:55 -0700
Kat and others, Although I don't currently have ferrets, I do have a
2.5 yr. old Border Collie and I just experienced her first (and
hopefully last for a long time!) bout with fleas. BOY was it a
DOOZY!!!!

My vet told me recently that because this years' spring and summer
seaons have been uncharacteristically hot and humid nationwide, the
flea issue has been extremely difficult to combat just about anywhere
right now. In the 8.5 yrs. I had ferrets I only had 2 flea outbreaks
(never any other animals in the house) and found that a drop of
Revolution on the back of neck worked and within days the problem was
solved. I did also made sure I kept the carpeted floors vaccuumed often
and that combination of effort seemed to do the trick. HOWEVER, when
you have multiple pets, you're likely going to have to do MUCH MORE to
get rid of them - especially TREAT THE ENVIRONMENT, NOT JUST THE PET!

1. In regards to treating the DOGS/CATS, you can use an oral or topical
flea treatment (Comfortis is oral but requires a prescription from vet.
Works much better, in my opinion, than the topicals I've used in the
past but you can use whatever you wish). Try to use a flea treatment
that kills fleas through the entire life cycle, not just the adult
fleas.
2. VACUUM every square inch of your home, not just carpets!!! Vacuum
rugs, furniture, bare floors - anywhere that dust collects. If you have
a bag-type of vacuum cleaner, put a new, unused flea collar in the bag
so it will kill the fleas that are vacuumed up and remain in the bag
until you empty it (you should empty it after the thorough vacuuming
though).
3. Try to find a product called "diatomaceous earth" if you can (Home
Depot just began selling it in the garden section and you might be able
to find it at other home improvent stores, garden stores, nurseries,
etc.). "DE" is basically very tiny silicone particles with razor
sharp edges (but harmless to people and animals) and it kills bugs by
suffocating them and then stripping away their outer protective coating
which then dehydrates the bugs and they die. It's VERY safe (you can
actually eat it) and you basically just sprinkle it around on carpets
(I suggest wearing a surgical mask only because it'a a VERY FINE POWDER
and can make you cough). You can even apply it directly to pets and use
a brush to brush it into the carpets. Leave it down for a few days so
it has time to work. Then vacuum it up and empty the bag immediately.
4. You *can* use flea bombs in the house but don't rely on them alone
to kill the fleas and I highly recommend trying the diatomaceous earth
first since the "DE" doesn't have toxins. You need to thoroughly vacuum
a day or two AFTER you've bombed though to remove the dead fleas likley
in the carpets.
5. WASH EVERYTHING you can (pillows, pillowcases, blankets, the pets'
bedding, etc. - anything that the pets have come in contat with since
the flea outbreak, which is likely everything in the house).
6. DO NOT waste your money on "flea" powders, sprays, pet shampoos,
etc. I've read and been told over and over than many of them are
highly ineffective.
7. DO wash your pets (including ferrets) in Dawn dish soap (some say it
works, others say it doesn't) but it can't hurt. This seemed to help
me and I actually saw some fleas fall off my dog in the tub. I've also
been told that Irish Spring bar soap has the same effect (must be
something in the lather). ALSO, anything with a citrus scent or citrus
oil base seems to kill the fleas, too.
8. DO NOT apply or give orally to the dogs and/or cats the flea
treatments MORE than once every 30 days. Remember, these products are
pesticides and high doses can harm and even kill the pet(s)!!!!

This is a very thorough, tedious process but I'm very confident anyone
will have success getting rid of the flea problem if they follow these
instructions.

Hope that helps!!

Jennifer & Sadie
"Our purpose in life is to find our gift, perfect it, and
give it back to others"