Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:33:21 -0700
>Since Merial is not producing Purevax this summer, I asked my vet to
>give the Nobivac DPv distemper vaccine instead. I'm wondering how
>many shelters are using this vaccine? My vet says it is too dangerous
>to use (too many reactions) so he doesn't want to use it.
>
>Melanee Ellis

Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter has been using it since the last
time Purevax was unavailable for months.

If anything, the reaction rate is lower than with Purevax. It's not
uncommon for us to vaccinate 30+ ferrets on a vaccination day at the
shelter, and it's rare for us to have any reactions.

My vet will be using it in her practice, but is requiring a consent
form since it's an off-label use. There are more liabilities for vets
if a bad reaction were to happen when using an off-label med when
approved alternatives are on the market.

Perhaps if you offered to sign a release covering his liability it
would help.

Kevin Farlee
President
WFRS