From:
Lauren Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2013 10:41:51 -0400
I would like to share a happy story that has a very happy ending.

Rose is a ferret that came to me 3 years ago, after being left in the
heat in a filthy cage with her sister. Their age was unknown but I
guessed about a year at the time. Many months ago I felt a mass in her
abdomen and having alot of experience with lymphoma was very sad. I
watched as the tumor grew over the months knowing that she was not
going to live a long life. When the tumor reached the size of a small
lemon I really expected her to be sick. She had lost weight, but was
still eating both soup and kibble and her poop was normal. I couldn't
figure out why she wasn't sicker with such a large mass in her abdomen.
When I commented about it to Angel Michele at South Shore ferret care
she asked if I was sure that it wasn't her spleen instead of a tumor.
I immediately knocked myself in the head for not thinking about that. I
had a ferret several years ago who was sick and we knew he had lymphoma
and when they opened him up it was a HUGE spleen. He lived many more
happy years after surgery. So off to the vet we went and sure enough
he could feel a huge spleen folded over in her belly! Because of his
schedule we had to wait 3 weeks for surgery, but finally the day came
and it went off with out a hitch. It has now been almost 4 weeks and
she is wonderful. She is eating and even playing. You can tell she
feels so much better. I have had a tough couple of years with ferret
losses, 12 last year and 6 this year so far, my Fat Boy only yesterday.
But this is one of my babies who fooled the grim reaper this time. I
am so lucky to have such a wonderful friend who cares as much for my
kids as I do and is so smart.

Laurie Austin MA mom to 17 ferrets and missing so many