From:
"Rebecca Stout (Wolfy)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:39:24 -0400
I delayed in response to this because I thought someone else would
surely step up to offer information about the drug alternative for
helicobactor. Its not uncommon for some ferrets to react that severely
to Flagyl. Biaxin and Amoxy can be given in is place succesfully (along
with the carafate etc of course).

I nearly lost a ferret to Flagyl believe it or not. Just from the
stress of forcing it and being persisant in its use made him worse and
he crashed. Julie Fossa who ran a successful shelter in Ohio for a
great many years (and who had the reputation of being quite the health
expert regarding ferrets, adv, etc) contacted me immediately and saved
his life by giving me this information and then spoke to my vet as
well.

Believe me its a true and tried treatment in the vet books (geez I
forget the authors ... Fox's and the other one). If you search Mike
Janke's ferret health site or even perhaps the archives in the Ferret
Health List you can find the proper dosages and references. It is
effective, it is much easier on the ferret. And as i said its a
reputable alternative.

Please not that everyone advice about how to administer Carafate is
VITAL, so do take those steps immediately. You should be able to tell
in an afternoon or so if that is possibly the only solution you need.

Wolfy

[Posted in FML $$22$$]