From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:23:54 -0700
Has anyone found any manufactured baby gate satisfactory in blocking
doorways and preventing ferret access, that humans can get over without
opening it and that is has a smooth plastic rather than a mesh surface?

I have found a few references to Northern States Supergate clear choice
gates with positive reviews from ferret owners, but wondered if anyone
had any opinions. There's a "stairway" gate - more expensive - that
looks a little more elaborate. Think it says on Amazon it is being
discontinued. Supposedly the gates are clear plastic so that the little
dears cannot claw their way over. I am having my floors refinished with
Konecto and one room is a verboten room that I am going to continue to
try and keep them out of.

My housemate likes to have air moving through the house (as I do) and
have open doors to the bedrooms and computer room where possible, and
he had made a plexiglass barrier that finally gave way (from ferrets
leaping in vain up and my housemate accidentally hitting it as he
stepped over it). It was slotted in through wooden side pieces in the
doorway, since anything hinged would be accidentally left open
occasionally then all the ferrets seemed to have a sixth sense and go
in and hide there.

If anyone has had luck with prefabricated pet doors on amazon I'd love
to hear before wasting $30 on the Northern states cheaper version. The
stairway version ($60+) is wider but looks more intricate and involved
in setting up.

I have one Olympic class leaping ferret (Buddy), who also types quite
a bit and likes computers so would like some advice before making a
purchase.

Meryl