From:
Mike Rademaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:51:02 -0600
I've had Ferrets for 30 yrs. I started out with a single. I found out
that they are social animals and do better in pairs. I then went to
pairs for a while. I had a bonded pair once and one passed away. The
other, even though he was young (3yrs) and in perfect health just quit
eating. A trip to the vet determined that his organs were just shutting
down for no obvious reason. Despite all our efforts he passed away
within 30 days of loneliness and mourning the loss of his mate!

This was an extreme case but does show that ferrets DO mourn the loss
of a mate. I now maintain at least 3 but no more than 6 at any given
time. This way they all become friends and when one passes the others
have a shoulder to cry on so to speak.

If this idea may interest you, contact your local shelter. They should
be knowledgeable enough to help you pick a good companion for Oliver so
when Piccolo passes it won't be so hard on him.

I hope this helps,

Mike w/Hanna, Missy, Thumper & Jeffery