From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 19:40:14 +0000
[Moderator's note: Pretty far off-topic for the FML but in case
shelters in the area are not aware of this. BIG]

Just shouting a heads up to ferret friends in Maryland that own their
homes. Some of you may know all about this and have already filed your
forms. If you don't, this could save you hundreds of dollars on your
real estate taxes.

It used to be that all Maryland homeowners automatically got the MD
Homestead Tax Credit. Now that the state of MD is short on cash, they
changed the law so that people have to "opt in" to get it. If you don't
opt in by 12/31/12, then you do not get the credit. I mailed my form
today. Pass it on....

More info on the Maryland Homestead Tax Credit. Applications are due
by 12/31/12 (must be postmarked by).
http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/homestead.html

Here's a link to the form:
http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/homestead_application.pdf
It's an easy form to fill out, but you do need the account number off
of your county tax bill. You can even look that info up online (the
first link has info on how you do this).