From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:14:31 -0400
Dear FMLers,

Thanks to SOS, MSU has been able to determine that there is ECE in our
ferrets. I want to thank everyone who helped support us through this
crisis with an open mind and without judgment. If you would like to
see the results of the ECE and coccidia tests, the PDF documents from
MSU and the summary in MS Word of the coccidia screenings at 400x
magnification done at our vet's office can be downloaded from our
website. The good thing about the ECE fecal test shows shedding virus,
which only occurs in a ferret who would have experienced ECE sometime
recently (not like some virus tests which can give you positives based
on years-old antibodies).

In the meantime, any other donations received have been used to keep us
in supplies and tend to the other vet needs of our ferrets. We are not
able to use the raffle items we have on hand in fear of spreading the
ECE virus. The good news is that Holly's blood work showed a UTI and a
very drained body, not kidney failure, so our DMK will see her eighth
birthday, adrenal and insulinoma besides. No heart problems for Bug.

I am moving. I suppose the timing is good overall -- the rescue has
to be on quarantine for almost the rest of the year, and Mom needs me
there anyway (even if we didn't expect me to "have to" be there). The
ferrets will be split between my mother's and father's residences,
which are only a quick few miles apart. Because of the unfortunate need
to split up the rescue, we need to take on extra supplies -- tunnels,
baby gates, play pens, water bottles, etc. If you have extras and can
ship to NC or OH within the next six weeks, please email me.

I don't expect to be writing much as I sort through the minutiae of
legal separation and pack up my belongings. With Mom's cancer in her
lung, ribs, and adrenal gland now, I've got to get there for the new
round of radiation and chemo. So much to do and quickly.

Well, I've seen plenty of "I lost my job" raffles. I'd do a "I lost my
husband" raffle or a "I've got to move the ferrets and me 600 miles"
raffle, but, again, all my "goodies" are occupying an ECE-contaminated
home. If you just didn't think that was at all humorous, not even in
the slightest, just blame it on my mindset lately. If you see enough
things go wrong in a short period of time, you find yourself laughing
at the oddest things.

So, if the ECE debate doesn't blow up again, I'm probably going to be
keeping to just email for awhile. Anyone is welcome to write, and you
can imagine how desperate donations are needed right now (If you've
even got a spare gas gift card lying around I can use for the moving
truck...). Bless you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Lori of Ferrets at Heart
Huron, Ohio
(419) 433-6016
http://ferretsatheart.com/