From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2012 21:54:43 +0300
One of my cats, Steve, died today, either from poisoning or rabies.
Actually, he was euthanized, but was almost dead when Dr Rea did it.
I took his body to the Pasteur center here, where they'll analyze a
piece of his brain. I'll get the results tomorrow.

Steve was vaccinated, along w all of my animals, against rabies a few
months ago, and by a guy who says he uses only the best vaccines.

None of us were bitten. I touched Steve's mouth w the end of my finger,
testing to see if he wd drink. Dr Rea'd asked me to see if he drank and
how he drank, but forgot to tell me to avoid contact w saliva. No cuts
etc on my fingertip, and I doubt that I touched my eyes, nose, etc.,
during the several moments between seeing if he wd drink and getting
Rhea's text to avoid contact w saliva, but I certainly could have.

I am exasperated, as you can imagine.

My now-suspended animal worker, Abera, got scratched by Steve on Sat
(today = Tues), Rea palpated a hurt leg of S's on Sat, and Balcha
picked Steve up and put him in a carrying crate for me today. Rea is
adamant that we must all have the treatment if the case turns out to
have been rabies. The vet who took the body in and recorded the info
was equally adamant that none of us need any treatment even if Steve
had rabies.

What do you think?

Some info abt non-bite transmission of rabies:
_____
Rabies is transmitted through saliva - primarily via bite wounds. But
it can also be spread by infected saliva entering an open cut or
wound, or contacting a mucous membrane, such as those in the mouth,
nasal cavity or eyes.