From:
Alison Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:43:04 -0700
Hi this message is to Steve Bodofsky who decided to post in yesterday's
FML that he thinks people shouldn't donate to my film "The Ferret
Squad". Today I am in the last 2 days of fundraising so I'm incredibly
busy BUT, I had to make time to reply to his post because I actually do
care what people think and don't want any misinformation spread about
my film.

Steve, since I see you are a shelter owner, I have no doubt that you
love and care for ferrets and only want the best for them. That's what
I want too. I guess you don't know me but I am not just some Hollywood
type movie producer who doesn't know a thing about ferrets. I'm an
independent filmmaker who is owned by two ferrets named Falcor and
Frisco. Falcor plays Jasper in my last short film "Jake & Jasper: A
Ferret Tale". I think anyone who saw that movie could tell you that
I did not portray the ferrets inaccurately at all, as you assumed I
would do in The Ferret Squad.

In fact, I have spent months and months working with the writer of The
Ferret Squad (Sally Meyer, who also wrote You're So Cupid starring
Lauren Holly), educating her on the ways the ferret, what they can and
cant do, their silly behaviours, their common medical issues, and the
many reasons that ferrets end up getting dumped at a shelter. In fact
the lead ferret character in the film, "Digger" (once again, played by
my ferret Falcor), is adopted from a shelter in the film. The ferret
shelter mom Olivia (played by award winning actress Gabrielle Rose)
does not let Max adopt Digger without first testing him and educating
him on all things ferret. She won't give one her babies to just anyone.
She even grills Max's father.

The Ferret Squad is all about ferret rescues, so I'm surprised it
doesn't have your support, but let me address another issue. You bring
up what happened with 101 Dalmations. Yes, that happened, and that
happened with movies like Beverly Hills Chihuaha as well, despite
Disney putting a huge disclaimer at the beginning of the end credits
about doing your research before adopting a pet. However, by your
logic, we should have no animal movies at all. In fact, animals should
not appear even for a second, let alone be a main character. I believe
that is NOT the answer to the problem. The answer is education.

Media, especially movies, are in my opinion the biggest influence on
how people perceive ferrets. How often do you encounter a person who
says they hate ferrets? And how many of those people have even met a
ferret? It's thanks to the NEGATIVE ways Hollywood has portrayed
ferrets that so many ferrets are abused and sometimes even killed.
It's thanks to movies like The Big Lebowski or Stardust or even the
TV Show FULL HOUSE for telling the world that ferrets bite, are
vicious and are rodents.

My films show ferrets in a positive way, as they should, because
ferrets are awesome, loving, funny, smart domestic pets that deserve
our love and protection. It sheds light on all the reasons ferrets end
up in shelters, and also the archaic ferret ban in California that
NEEDS to be changed as it once again puts the lives of many ferrets
in danger. Imagine not being able to take your ferret to the vet for
medical attention for fear of having them confiscated!!

Anyways, the film will be made regardless, as we have just lined up
some extra product placement deals and corporate sponsorships, so your
post telling people to not donate is not going to change that. But
since so many ferret people (including myself) read the FML, I felt I
needed to tell you MY point of view on the situation. Do with it what
you will!

Funding for The Ferret Squad ends June 10. Please consider making a
donation at www.indiegogo.com/TheFerretSquad

Education. Education. Education.

Thanks,

--