Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 14:25:42 -0400
From:
Rachel Schafli <[log in to unmask]>
Just wanted to comment on the whole mesh-over ventilation holes - it
is NOT IATA standard to place mesh over ventilation for ferrets.
I've heard of this before, and it happens because there are so many
misconceptions about ferrets that people don't realize what they are. I
have flown my own ferret numerous times (I think about 8 times now??)
And have met IATA standards, as well as Transport Canada's standards
each time.... The guidelines are actually the same for cats and dogs.
Plastic crate, with metal knut/bolt closures, metal grate door with
lock (not plastic) ventilation holes on each side, 1" rim around the
crate for protection in case it gets pressed up against something in
cargo.

Next time an airlines tells you that you "must" do something because
"IATA says so", request to be shown the literature yourself before
agreeing to it.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind everyone how important
it is that airlines start accepting ferrets for regular travel (as
checked cargo & under the seat) to prevent these kinds of situations
from happening to anyone in the future. Even if you don't plan on
flying, a day may come when you have to move/travel etc. and you may
need to bring your furkids along with you, so in order to make that
happen, at least starting in Canada with our major airlines, WestJet,
Air Canada, and now Porter, please sign this petition, and make sure
to share it amongst your friends and other mailing lists.

Thanks everyone!

<http://www.change.org/petitions/air-canada-westjet-allow-ferrets-as-carry-on-and-as-checked-baggage-on-their-flights>