From:
Dianne Rohowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 13:48:19 +0800
Just to set the record straight on NZ selling ferrets to Australia,
this is not possible and would not have been possible for at least 50
years or more. It has also been illegal to breed ferrets in NZ for
the past 10 years.

Not only can we not import live ferrets into Australia under any
circumstances, we could not even import ferret sperm for breeding
purposes if we felt the need to bring new blood lines into our
existing breeding stock.

Many years go, one of our US members living in Australia was
incorrectly advised by a Govt. Department that if their five ferrets
were micro-chipped and fully vaccinated against rabies (a disease we
do not have in Australia) before leaving Australia they would then be
able to bring them back in when they returned .... this was absolutely
not the case and when the time came the ferrets had to be shipped to
a new home in the USA to live the remainder of their days which was
heartbreaking as they then contracted Aleutians disease and didn't live
as long as they may have if they had remained in Australia in the first
place (pure conjecture on my part as they may have succumbed to some
other sickness & not lived long lives anyway). Prior to that another
member's family remained overseas until their ferret passed on rather
than come back without her.

To my knowledge the last ferrets imported into Australia were in about
1936 and even now people coming to live Australia must re-locate their
ferrets before coming here; there are no exceptions.

Hugs to all.

Dianne.