Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:36:19 -0400
From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
>Re your statements on research. Please, do not generalize, especially
>with worst assumptions.

I didn't mean the labs don't properly care for, or care about the
animals. In fact, Matti Kiupel and I had a long conversation about lab
animals and testing done on animals. He is very much against the kinds
of unnecessary testing some places do (like some of the cosmetics
industry), and feels it is important to keep lab animals as well cared
for as possible. It is unfortunate, but some use of animals in lab
testing is necessary. For example, if a new vaccine for any ferret
disease is produced, before it can be made available, there will have
to be trials run on ferrets, and some ferrets will have to be exposed
to or even given the disease the vaccine is supposed to prevent.
Further, some ferrets, even those who did not get the disease, will
have to be euthanized and necropsied.

There are regulations in effect governing how animals must be treated
in lab facilities, and especially in university lab facilities. Any
institution receiving government must meet the minimum requirements of
the regulations.

I just don't think any labs are going to be going out and checking the
conditions at the farms that produce the animals, or care that PETA did
an exposE on Triple F. The labs most likely don't like or trust PETA,
and see them as extremist and not above faking things in their videos
to make people come to their side. Their biggest concern will be that
the animals they purchase are disease free and otherwise healthy. If
what they receive fits those requirements, they are unlikely to look
very hard at the farm producing the animals. If they receive unhealthy
animals, than that is a completely different situation. Still, I would
not expect them to raise complaints to authorities, but simply to take
their business elsewhere. Again, my opinions, and I might be completely
wrong.

I am sorry if that wasn't clear

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/