Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:09:43 -0330
Joey was a ferret-friend. He was the most loving cat I've ever had the
pleasure of knowing. We have a pet door into the basement so that the
cats can go in and out on demand. Joey was a stray. His human had died
and he was cast away on his own. He showed up one night in a blizzard
and slept on an old blanket. When I saw him in the morning, he was a
mess. He had frostbite and horrible wounds on his front legs. All his
front teeth were broken off. His cheeks were swollen outward because
of the infections. He went to see a wonderful vet and was treated. We
followed up with his recuperation and over time he got well. He went
back to the vet and was neutered and spent the next five years
endearing himself to us. He had a few toys and was always playing with
them. He really liked the ferrets; Finley and Fisher and later Roxie
and then Lucy, and they liked him. Finley and FIsher left us and
crossed the bridge themselves and we were all sad. A few weeks ago we
started noticing that Joey wasn't playing so much anymore. He was still
such a love-bug though. He would always cuddle and purr and get right
into your face and look deep into your eyes. He started losing weight
and drinking much more. A blood test showed his kidneys were gone. He
had pills and a special diet and we tried that for a month, but he
hated the pills and didn't like the food and his weight loss sped up.
Yesterday we did the hardest thing that possible and Joey went back to
the vet. That wonderful vet who helped him five years ago had retired,
but just happened to be filling in yesterday and he remembered Joey. He
helped him over the bridge with a love and care that shows that being a
vet was his true calling. I know Joey forgives me, and I know he's
frolicking right now with Finley and Fisher and all the others who have
gone over before, but I am devastated.

Gary, on behalf of Roxie and Lucy

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day
I can hear her breathing."
- Arundhati Roy