From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:44:13 -0500
We received an email about this vaccine in December and after having
dealt with CD in our shelter this summer I contacted Dr. Jerry Butler,
DVM for his perspective as he was of such invaluable support during
our outbreak. With his permission to share his insights, here is what
he said about it:

"Yes I have heard about this vaccine. The company that makes it only
did a very small safety study in ferrets. It did not have any safety
problems. However no testing was done to see if it actually works in
ferrets. I talked to Dr Hall, the technical services manager for
Schering Plough (now Merck), which made Galaxy D. She said that ferrets
actually need a higher amount of the distemper antigen in the vaccine
than dogs do to get a protective response from the vaccine. Thus she
did not recommend Mercks new dog distemper vaccine line. This distemper
vaccine may have that same problem (ie not enough distemper antigen to
work in ferrets). Thus untill there is a study in ferrets showing that
it actually works, I would not use it. Hope that helps, Jerry"

He continues to recommend Purevax and that is what FACT is now using.
We have only experienced a couple of very mild reactions (vomiting
primarily) and no serious reactions. Yes it is cheaper, and yes, you
can order directly without going though a vet, but is it worth the
risk of not being effective?

My take? We buy our ferrets only the best in food, numerous toys,
lovely bedding, why skimp on their health?

If you have a large group of ferrets - ether as an owner, breeder or
shelter, - you can negotiate with your vet (or any new vet looking
to develop a clientele) to vaccinate enmass for a reduced rate. Not
everyone will have luxury of having many vets to choose from, but
remember, they are business people as well.

Remember, deal with the owner/s of the practice. Few staff vets have
much authority to negotiate price. If you are a shelter or breeder,
remember too you have the advantage of recommending a practice and
sending them new clients so you do have something to offer in return.