From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:07:03 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Remember that happy dance Snoopy did where his feet were a side on blur
and he threw his front legs in the air? That would be me, oh yes. For
you see on Friday night a huge hearted lady came and and picked up the
two kits that my husband found shivering in the Belmont Hills area of
Worcester, Mass. with the 'Free' sign on their cage. She gently tucked
them away into her critter carrier and we broke down their Pet-Smart
Cage. We sent them away with a set of John Deere bedding that was made
for my little guys by [log in to unmask] When I run the URL I don't
get a hit, so perhaps they are no longer in production. They needed
something to keep them warm. They came with nothing but a ratty hammy
that we threw away and a filthy Dora La Exploradora fleece blanket that
I laundered.

I will never know why they wound up on the sidewalk that cold day,
in a stretch of boarded-up three decker houses. When my niece Sarah
initially saw them they had a sign asking for sixty dollars. She didn't
have it. She called my husband, who did. By the time he got there
they were advertised as "free". He had a sense that the two gentlemen
waiting around were totally disgusted with the situation, and were just
going to abandon the kits on the sidewalk shortly. The men didn't have
names for the kits, and didn't look like they could afford to be giving
away:

Two Marshall Farms Kits--Between $99 and $125.00 each
One 24X40 PetSmart Cage--$150 at Petco

Nope, not at all. Nor did they give any reason for giving the whole
(pardon the pun) business away. Something bad happened, very bad.
Drugs? Theft? We did call the Worcester Police and Animal Control.
No ferrets were reported missing.

Anyway, the bad was followed by good. Many thanks to the completely
gobsmacked Animal Hospital receptionist who allowed me to question her
about the habits and motives of the kind lady. Many thanks to Kathy
Street, President of MAFF (Massachusetts Ferret Friends) who helped me
hook up with the kind lady through the MAFF Facebook site. (MAFF is
on Facebook? Who knew?!) And many thanks to the kind lady, spoiler of
ferrets extraordinaire. Those kits are looking forward to your home
made gravy.

Todd and Caff-Pow will miss the kits. Well, maybe not Caff-Pow so
much. The tiny white female was able to kick his butt so badly that he
poofed, repeatedly. Her kung-fu is strong. In her defense *he* started
it, every time. She did not *want* to be dragged around the floor by
a ferret five times her weight. Imagine that? I will miss seeing the
master of all he surveys getting his comeuppance.

Alexandra in MA