Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:21:02 -0700
I don't know what *virte tone* is, but I think you mean FerretVite? The
sugary stuff in a tube? If I were you, I would stop all sugary treats.
The Fruit Loops, Cat Treats, Vits (FerretVite?) are all high in sugar,
empty calories.

FerreTone can be over fed too, and will spoil the appetite.

The Mazuri, Marshalls or any good quality ferret food can be used as a
treat. Just hold some in your hand to warm, sit on the floor with them
and let them take a piece to eat. YOU are the best treat they can have.

Make a *soup* of the kibbles soaked in water. Run in a blender and
serve warm. Some may take to it right away, others may take longer.
When they get used to this you can slowly add in a bit of the warmed
baby food meat. You could drizzle a little Ferretone over this, since
they are used to the taste.

It sounds crazy, but how you *serve* this matters. My gang likes a flat
plate if several are eating at a time. For the kids that get meds in
their soup, a small bowl is best, and they like to be held when eating.

A word of warning... If you choose to use a microwave to warm the soup,
stir with your finger before offering it to the ferrets. The fat
content in ferret kibble makes it heat up fast.

Also, have the ferrets been seen by a ferret knowledgeable vet? A blood
glucose check could spot insulinoma. A ferret with this condition often
doesn't eat enough due to low energy, tummy upset, etc.

I had my Flower in for surgery yesterday. Her pre-op glucose check was
63. This was a surprise, as she had no signs of a low glucose YET. As
soon as she is healed from her mastectomy, she will get prednisolone in
her soupie.

All this being said, I have one boy that is too thin, on a good diet,
taking meds for his insulinoma, but he just will NOT eat any form of
soup, baby food meat, etc. But I'll keep trying.....

Ardith