From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:15:54 -0700
After getting a little guidance from our Humane Society Officers here
in the Rochester, NY Monday, I picked up the telephone and called the
Humane Society of Bradford County Pennsylvania to inquire about the
current situation with Triple F Ferret Farm, the USDA and PeTA.
Presently,the BHS (Bradford County Humane Society) is "on hold" with
any involvement with this investigation. The BHS has one police officer
to enforce the laws pertaining to animals in Bradford County. This area
is very rural with a number of farms. It would seem she has plenty on
her plate without dealing with Triple F.

This officer was happy, however, to hear of the efforts of the ferret
community and gladly took my name and contact number in the event I or
the ferret community could be of help in the future.

State agencies can often be more effective than federal agencies. In
this case, it turns out both are working together. PeTA made a smart
move -- they went to the District Attorney's Office of Bradford County
and also contacted the USDA to do an inspection. The D.A's Office has
a Chief Detective who accompanied the USDA inspector on their initial
investigation August 23, 2011. It is my understanding that during
this investigation the Chief Detective observed many of the "issues"
captured on the PeTA videotape (as did the USDA Veterinary Medical
Officer Inspector.)

I did talk directly with this Chief Detective of the District
Attorney's office. He was very happy to explain things to me, but had
to be very careful what information he shared as this is an active
and ongoing investigation. The Chief Detective did say they are still
talking to people, collecting statements and evidence. They continue to
converse with the Triple F owner and the PeTA representative as well as
working with other law enforcement agencies in their jurisdiction. When
I asked if they had an idea of when it would be wrapped up I was told
there is not a time line set for this investigation. (Although I got
the impression there is a given period of time within which it must be
completed.) It is an evidence driven investigation and because there
are may people to interview and they wish to be thorough, it will take
a reasonable amount of time. This office will use the law enforcement
agencies as needed once they have determined if and what anyone is
indicted, arrested for or charged with. If that step occurs those
individuals would have to go before a local magistrate, which would
commence the criminal justice process. The Detective did say once the
investigation is closed they will release the information.

The District Attorney's Office is quite small with limited staff. About
five years ago the D. A. position was made full-time. Dan Barrett, the
D.A. has many years under his belt practicing law.

Most people in the area don't even realize that this place (Triple F)
exists. The area is very rural and the Farm is nestled up in the hills
and back roads, from what I understand. An article appeared in their
local paper a few months ago. It seems to be forgotten if it ever even
made an impact. Sadly, this area is also recovering from the aftermath
of the flooding at the end of this summer.

Respectfully submitted,

Cathy Ryan

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3