Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:58:19 -0500
>Can ferrets play with KONGS?

NO NO NO!!! There`s a rim at the top, & they are able to chew this off.
One little fuzzy almost paid the price for his playfulness--and I`m
sure there are more out there, whose owners have no idea why their
ferret died.

Rubber causes intestinal obstructions. It doesn`t break down. It cannot
pass through the ferret. If there is not prompt surgical intervention
when a blockage occurs, the ferret will die a painful death.

I`m sure people will say "Oh it`s harmless. I supervise him/her when
he/she plays with the toy."

Ferrets can grab a fascinating object & disappear with it to their
hidey hole in SECONDS. Then maybe weeks or months later, when you have
forgotten all about the object, you may discover a lethargic ferret. It
may have rapidly dropped weight, may have lost its appetite, may be
projectile vomiting. It may be dehydrated. It may have a dull look in
its eyes. It may strain to pass small amounts of dark, watery poo. This
is an extreme emergency--and it cannot wait til payday!

We have a large collection of objects in pill bottles, which we take
to our presentation at the library every summer. (Objects removed in
surgery, after people dumped their "sick" ferrets here.)The kids are
amazed to see the green latex frog hand, the pieces of army men, the
remote control button, the hairballs, the electrical tape and--the
piece of KONG...)

Our job is to protect our babies from harm. I wouldn`t chance it.

Love,
Zoo