From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:48:41 -0400
We may have a health situation brewing at the FACT shelter and until
we get some answers, we are not taking in any ferrets.

Early June we took in a ferret that had just had obstruction surgery.
He weathered it fine and was transferred to FACT. Initially he seemed
to be recovering, but about a week later, he seemed to be faltering.
He vomited some and was put on extra care and hand feedings. After
another few days, still no improvement. We began to suspect surgical
complications and we decided to get him back to the vet for supportive
care.

However, he also started to turn pink.

First the mouth area, then around his penis. The dark pink spread to
his eyes which began to swell. Then within 24 - 48 hours, it spread
to his skin. No itching, BTW. Also not the typical adrenal gland pink
skin.

Our vet suspected a possible allergic reaction but he continued to
waste away. Nothing he ate seemed to stick. In spite of intensive care
he lost the battle yesterday.

In the meantime on Sunday a previously bouncy 3 year old, long term
shelter resident vomited. Yesterdy, he started showing pink around the
mouth, spreading to his penis area, and by this morning to his eyes. By
the time he got to the vet today, it had spread all over his body. His
eye lids are swelling.

Note: No nose discharge or mucous. No crusty footpads. No food changes.
No itching. CBC is all normal EXCEPT very low lymphocyte count. Mild
abdominal tenderness. Symptoms are inconsistent with either ADV or
distemper, but our vet suspects a virus or bacterial infection of some
sort. Mange test was negative. Right now on pred and antibiotics.
Vanessa is working on a detailed map of who came in when/from where/and
who's been exposed to who just in case and, of course, are monitoring
all the ferrets for any possible similar symptoms.

We'd welcome any thoughts/suggestions as well as good thoughts/prayers.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of CT