From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:06:30 -0400
Dr. Jerry Murray sent some excellent info privately, but I have not
heard back so figure I'd better paraphrase (and any mistakes as a
result are my own):

1. The problem is not the melatonin implant.

2. There is nothing odd with 5 or 6 year old ferrets having insulinoma.

3. Tracy was right that about 5% of adrenal ferrets overproduce
cortisol which raises the glucose level and hides existing insulinoma,
and in those ferrets treating the adrenal disease allows the insulinoma
to show itself. That also happens with Lupron and Suprelorin with those
rare ferrets. Those meds and melatonin are NOT creating a blood glucose
problem; they are treating the adrenal problem which decreases the
over-production of cortisol, thus allowing the EXISTING insulinoma to
show itself.

4. The blood glucose test makes it obvious that insulinoma or one of
the more rare pancreatic problems which can decrease blood glucose is
present.

5. Existing heart disease causes labored breathing. Some ferrets with
heart disease can become restless due to discomfort.

6. A chest ultrasound would make sense for this ferret; there are
things like fluid in the sac around the heart which will not show up
in x-rays and a veterinary cardiologist needs to see the ultrasound
results. (That can be done by computer, BTW. We've been in that
situation.)

7. Prepuce tumors are not uncommon in older male ferrets and are not
related to the adrenal treatments, but they can grow faster in some
adrenal ferrets who are not treated.

8. Again, the melatonin implant did not cause any of the listed
problems.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/