From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:42:58 -0400
Good Morning,

I very rarely side with PETA as this organization has "dirty hands."
But, sometimes, their investigations help the animals being treated
inhumanely by their using the media and bringing the cruelty to the
"light of day" to the general public. Usually, public opinion is strong
when it comes to animals and their plight. Most cruelty cases brought
before the media are quickly resolved in one fashion or another because
of public outcry.

Most animal advocates can be separated into either
rescue/shelter/adoption organizations or animal rights groups - most
of which are non-profit. And some of these can be broken down even
further into "species" or "breed"-specific, such as ours for ferrets --
domestic and black-footed. Make no mistake about it, these advocates
have very very different agendas.

The mainstream rescue/shelter/adoption organizations are non-profit
communities of people doing rescues of animals, on large and small
scales...think of the ASPCA and HSUS and all of their local affiliates.
And, of course, all of the grass-roots community rescue groups such as
mine and the rest of the ferret rescue/shelters all across the world.
These folks rescue-shelter-adopt or rehab-relocate (in the case of wild
animals). Then there are the animal rights groups such as PETA and
their militant sister, ALF. The animal rights advocates have a totally
different agenda than the rescues...they may do some limited rescues --
however, the main focus of these folks is to further their position on
how humans and animals interact and cohabitate on this planet. While I
concur with many of the beliefs of PETA and ALF and I have friends who
support these organizations, I absolutely disagree with other parts of
their agenda - the aggressive portions - I certainly would not force my
feelings about ferrets and animals in general on others nor would I
circumvent laws, commit crimes, and put human life in danger to that
end. The "by any means necessary" agenda of militant animal advocates
has put some of these folks in prison. PETA has also been known to
"rescue" animals from municipal shelters and perform what they describe
as humane "end-of-life" and some of their members have gone to jail.
These types of tactics do not further the cause of animal welfare and
PETA has lost much of its credibility over the years.

Having said all of that, some of the undercover work performed by these
people has led to an enlightened society about the mass production of
pets for retail marketing such as ferrets - ALF exposed the torture
chambers of Marshall Farms several years ago. Unfortunately, ALF lost
all credibility with mainstream animal advocates when some of their
members broke into their facilities, destroyed property, and stole
beagles and other animals in the dead of night. ALF has also been
documented (some by their own hands) releasing ferrets and mink from
"fur farms." PETA has brought forth many cruel treatments of farm and
laboratory animals and has forwarded good legislation to attempt to
ensure humane treatment of those destined to those industries. While I
personally detest and have nothing but distain for industries such as
Marshall Farms and Triple F, they are legal enterprises. I will always
support movements towards banning these for-profit-mills forever or
enforcing stricter regulations to ensure proper treatment of their
wards but until our laws reflect my personal feelings, they remain
legitimate business and I work only in that area to change the current
laws. Don't get me started on animal research.....

I have reviewed the video and the supporting documentation, laws are
clearly being broken at Triple F as anyone with a clear conscious could
easily ascertain. At the very least, the USDA should be alerted and
complaint filed. Although, I personally do not have much confidence in
the USDA and their investigation and policing divisions as I have gone
head-to-head with them on cases in this area and have lost.

Although not familiar with state laws for Triple F, I would believe
there are animal cruelty/humane treatment statutes being broken as well
as violation of city or county (local) ordinances -- using state's
"basic care" statutes for businesses and industry having to do with the
retail of animals. Someone or some entity may have answers to those
questions. There has to be a means to enforce the humane treatment of
the ferrets at Triple F.

Perhaps the "clientele" for Triple F can be alerted and made aware of
the cruel and inhumane conditions of the ferrets at Triple F. The
threat of taking customers away from Triple F because of bad publicity
could force them to take measures to correct the conditions for the
ferrets. Sometimes this works!

Last year, while I was successful in taking ferrets from a very very
bad backyard breeder here in MS, I learned many lessons about myself
and using good judgment and self-restraint. I admit that in my zeal to
rescue these ferrets from horrible conditions and owners and save them
from the winter cold, I was driven by my emotions and not my head. I
knew where the line was and I crossed it. Luckily, I have many people
who are supportive of me and rescue in general and I was saved from
myself. Lesson learned....and that, my friends, is the danger that is
lurking out there when you rescue animals. Where is the line between
good and bad? You help no one if you find yourself in jail.

I can only hope that PETA will take it a few steps further....or,
even better, a person or organization with more credibility and that
measures can be taken to help the ferrets at Triple F within the
parameters of the law.

I can only speak for my shelter, but a rescue of this magnitude is
almost insurmountable... but not impossible. With so many shelters
overflowing with just kids from the local communities, and with the
rotten economy, how can the ferret community successfully rehome all
of these kids if a rescue at Triple F takes place!?! Be careful for
what you wish for, you just may get it! Then what!?!

However, Raisins and I stand ready to do whatever we can to help and
if given enough heads-up time, Joe and I will get vacation time from
our jobs, babysitters for our kids at the shelter, and go and pitch in
and help with the rescue efforts and bring back with us a few of the
unfortunate. Until then, I will add the ferrets at Triple F in my daily
prayers!!!

Respectfully submitted,
Maren Qualls
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS