From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 14:17:27 -0400
This article from Powell (which is also great for Paleocene-Eocene
boundary fossils -- just a note from my college days as the student
curator of an anatomy teaching collection for Stony Brook which also
included prospecting, working with a range of primates, and lots more)
is wonderful reading:

<http://www.powelltribune.com/component/k2/item/8357-survival-of-the-black-foot>

I remember when they were found. Back then Steve and I had much more
income so we were among the major donors for the original preservation
work, so we knew the principal people in Wyoming back then by phone and
such. It's hard to believe that it has been so long.

The name of the first ferret captured was the time that the first live
one was spotted.

Live near Wyoming? The museum might interest you; when you want a
change of pace Cody is pretty nearby , and used to be a fun town to
visit so might be still. I have not been there in about 34 years.

We had a domestic ferret named Meeteetse because her kit happy face
was so like that of one of the original kits bred. She became pretty
famous, actually. Meeteetse was in love with the voice of Richard
Harris, one of the NPR science reporters, and they had updates on
Meeteetse several times in her life and did an obituary for her on
Weekend All Things Considered when she passed away.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html