From:
Milliesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2011 11:33:09 -0500
To add to Sulkie's comment on heartworms on the more laid back bulkier
ferrets. Heartworms are dominate here in the Texas area. People should
not be feeling secure that since their ferrets are inside, they aren't
exposed - Mosquitoes don't know they are not allowed inside. They are
pretty well fatal for cats and ferrets as their veins, arteries are too
small to pass the remains if you try to treat the infestation and ONE
worm is fatal. We just lost a little girl who had escaped her foster
home on more than one occasions and we placed her in another foster
home not realizing her problem, she looked great. Not long after it
was discovered she had a heartworm, he paid for the procedure to treat
the condition but lost her within another month or two.

ITS NOT EXPENSIVE to use preventative measures to protect your
ferrets - you do not have to use the same expensive medications for
the dogs or cats. Most vets will mix you up some liquid Ivermectin
where you give 1/10th of a cc per pound orally once a month. It's
cheap and it is two fold. You weigh your ferret every month (you can
use the postage meter or the weight thingy used for dieters) (a drop
of ferratone while they are sitting in a preweighed bowl will be
pretty accurate). You will also be handling your ferret in more of an
observation mode than when playing - if you keep a log, you can see
your ferret's various weight changes and you'll be looking for unusual
lumps or sores, or problems you might not notice while in play mode and
get to the problem before it manifests itself into a life or death
situation. It's a great tool for many reasons. Also a good idea to look
at the teeth too at this time. I am afraid all too often the teeth are
overlooked in the care of our little 4 legged lovebugs and its one of
the things which wears out faster than the rest of the body.

Millie and her ferrets and Danes
www.txferretrescue.org