From:
Milliesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:22:14 -0600
We too felt the response to the comments of Purina Cat Food was a
rough. This list is great because people try things and then share the
results, good or bad.

Here our shelter ranges from 60 to 100 ferrets at a time, We have a
broad mixture of TF, 8-1 Ultimate/Ultra Blend, Zupreme, MF, Shepherd
Green, and Superior PLUS I add in either Iams or Purina One because
many of the ferrets coming in have been on cat food and will change
more readily to those than immediately to ferret food. Believe me it is
easier than to remember this cage gets MF, that one Zupreme and that
one some odd brand of cat food. (yes we have a lot who search through
the food dish for just the right kibble, waste a lot but they do change
eventually). We don't recommend cat food to those who adopt giving them
the explanation the cat food is generated to be digested over a 12 hour
period and carries ingredients in there not digestible for a ferret so
a lot of it goes through the system without being used - thus they are
eating more food to get what they need and there is more poop. Wherein
ferret food doesn't have all those other additives and is made more for
a 4 hour digestive system. We do explain some foods such as Wal-Mart's
food (which is 8-1 Premium - in fact won't even add it to our mixture
when it comes in and their Phase food) is mostly veggies and fruit
juices with LOTS of food dyes. We even warn people against the Kayte
Fiesta brand which has all sorts of junk in there, that the red dye can
scare the daylights out of you making you think there is blood in the
stools. They have come out with some better foods than they originally
had but still there are a lot of grains mixed in.

We have had several ferrets turned in on Purina Cat Food (yep and Meow
Mix too) and they were in beautiful shape - coat and fat wise. Shocking
but true and didn't seem to have any more health problems than some
that were kept on MF all their lives. I do feel a healthy diet is
better for the system but I also feel the genes they inherit also plays
a big part - secret is, we don't know and can't base our choice on
that.

We would never down a person for what they THINK will work, but try to
influence them to a better way. I think the worse I wanted to explode
over was a ferret returned to us (we have them sign contracts if they
have to rehome to bring them back to us) that had left here fat and
pretty on a good diet (we had had to amputate his tail, he was a unique
little guy). When she returned him she said he would eat only DOG FOOD
(sure I sent him off eating dog food), he was covered in fleas, skinny
and almost comatose. We had checked them out, she was going off to
college and her parents agreed they would take care of the ferrets and
she would be home weekends plus has 2 brothers 8 and 11 who were to
share the ferrets...........not the case, 5 months later they were
returning the ferrets, parents would not take care of them (yes we
talked to them and had them also sign the adoption contract). It was
touch and go but he pulled through and was adopted out to a lovely
couple in Illinois (we met half way) who had the habit of taking in
handicapped ferrets. He ended up turning into a very large cutie with
that little stub tail and putting away the good foods.

So I would like to see this list remain a learning tool where one isn't
afraid to speak up about their methods, get advice or give it but
indeed share their experiences.

Millie and her ferrets and Danes
www.txferretrescue.org