From:
Jerri Carel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 02:01:21 -0400
Just wanted to give my input on the specific questions about things
reported by the PETA investigator based on my own observations &
hands-on experience from another breeder rescue many of us recall.

The questions asked:
>1. They claim that the ferrets eyes were so infected that it looked
>like they'd exploded. Is this even possible?

***We experienced eye infections in eyes that had not yet opened. When
this happens, you must carefully make a small opening in the eye slit
to relieve the pressure and express the infection from the eye. Our
experience was that the slit re-sealed itself & we had no further
problems. If we had not taken action, I can only imagine an eventual
rupture.

>2. According to the notes, the ferrets were altered and descented with
>the same dull razor blade. If the blade was indeed dull, how could it
>have been used to perform surgery after surgery? It was also said that
>the blade was handleless. If that were true, wouldn't the "surgeons"
>constantly be cutting themselves? The investigator claimed that vets
>weren't used to perform surgical procedures, that they were always
>done by lay persons. I'm certain that this is illegal.

***I've seen many vets use just the blade for surgical procedures. The
end that would normally slip into the scalpel "handle" is not sharp.

>3. The temperature was purported to be 99DGF, on PETA's website, while
>the Associated Press article cited the temperature as 110 degrees
>fahrenheit. In either case, wouldn't all of the 6000 ferrets be dead
>of heatstroke by now?

***not necessarily - I'm sure there would have been a number if losses
though. The ferrets at the "other breeder rescue" were outside all year
round - there were 100 degree days in the summer & sub-zero days in the
winter. Some died from the heat, some died from the cold, and somehow,
many managed to survive.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven