Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:39:41 -0800
"My mom died in 1993 and I became severely depressed. I thought having
a pet would help ease the depression. I'm allergic to cats and, at the
time, we lived in an apartment, so a dog was out (I like big dogs). I
had wanted a ferret since I was 16, so when I saw one advertised for
sale, I asked my husband if we could go look at it. It was love at
first sight! And that's how Bosley, the first of many ferrets, came
into our lives. He was so funny and playful, that whenever I was with
him, I wasn't depressed." And the rest, as they say, is history.

Shortly after Bosley came into her life, Melanee put an ad in the paper
looking for other ferret owners. Twenty people and 35 ferrets showed
up to play and get to know each other. And Lane Area Ferret Lovers was
born, followed by the decision to open a shelter. "With the shelter
came monetary issues, so we needed to do some fundraising. Shortly
thereafter the Ferret Olympics was created. This was the first of many
fundraising opportunities I undertook. We made over $300 on our first
Olympics!"

What a wonderful idea, short-lived as it was! "In 2004 I was contacted
by the National Olympic Committee and told to stop calling* *our
fundraising event ‘Ferret Olympics.' The club was threatened with a
lawsuit if it did not. That was when it was renamed the Ferret Agility
Trials."

Melanee likes to make up silly songs about her ferrets. But life isn't
all about ferrets. She also likes to cook and play hidden item games.
And, occasionally you may find her crocheting or creating cards and
posters on the computer. Her favorite movie is The Princess Bride and
she has an eclectic taste in music. Like other ferret owners, Melanee
likes science fiction/fantasy and Dean Koontz horror books. And, given
the chance to spend time with anyone, she would choose Kurt Vonnegut,
Jr. Why? "He wrote some fascinating books. I'd like to talk to him
about how he came up with his ideas and how he feels about the Obama
administration."

Melanee also relaxes by going on motorcycle rides with her husband.
Married to Bill for 20 years, the romance began in Juneau, AK, where
Melanee grew up. They moved to Eugene, OR where they still live with
their ferrets - Oy!, Sasha Fierce, and Jet (a black sable). You will
need to ask her about the radio contest she won. Worth $11,000, it
included a motorcycle among other things. This is a woman you want to
consult before dropping those raffle tickets!

And, Melanee recognizes the efforts of those around her. Her sister,
Anna Diaz, "overcame heroin and alcohol addiction, being homeless and
losing a business. She also raised a child (who is now 25 years old)
pretty much as single mother, holds on to her ideals and still has
time to talk to me when I'm crazed about work or life in general. She
overcame so much and didn't let it pound her into the ground. She has
a good job, and owns a house; she is doin' OK!"

Melanee would like to be remembered as "the woman who started Lane Area
Ferret Lovers club and helped it evolve into Lane Area Ferret Shelter
and Rescue," but just as important, "as the person who kept working at
it to make sure it survived." Melanee will be sharing some of her
fundraising experience with us in Phoenix at the symposium. Join us
and see how you can make a hit with the Olympic Committee!

* *

To learn more about Melanee and the Lane Area Ferrets, visit her online
at her personal web site: www.ferretlady.org or the Lane Area Ferret
Shelter and Rescue's web site: www.laneferrets.org. You can email her
at [log in to unmask]

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we