From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:28:13 -0700
There seems to be no national system for domestic animal rescues -
because this is the US I guess. In Britain the RSPCA deals with all
species - but Britain is small in comparison to the US.

Interestingly there are wildlife rescue organizations in every large
community in the US - all permitted by DFG and USFWS (I belong to one
in Southern California). Wildlife groups take wild birds and mammals
and rear them and release them or rehabilitate the injured until they
can be released. Domestic /exotic animals seem to be treated in a much
less organized way.

Has anyone any suggestions on how things can be improved in terms of
having a large problem - with say floods, fires, bad housing conditions
for large numbers of dogs, cats, ferrets?

I looked at the ASPCA site (they have been advertising a lot on TV here
recently and asking for donations) and they don't even acknowledge
ferrets as pets in their website. Were they contacted when that large
ferret rescue happened?

At least the HSUS mentions ferrets (giving them equal space) on their
website and how to care for them. Since both ASPCA and HSUS are
supposed to try to improve the life of animals, does anyone know if the
ASPCA does a better job with rescues than the HSUS? And have they done
any rescues?

Meryl