Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:12:02 -0800
I'm wondering if something is wrong other than what we already know.

We have a 4 - 5 year old ferret named Bandit (original name I know.) We
adopted him from a ferret shelter in Illinois a little over 3 years ago
(Bandit was the name he had when he was there).

He has had insulinoma for around a year for which he is receiving 0.5
mls of 1mg/1ml Prednisolone twice a day. With this he gets 15 mls of
pureed chicken with 30 - 40 mls of water. He also gets pepcid ac. I
know some think the amount of food/water he gets is too much but he
eats it all and would eat more if it was there. He looks forward to
this soup and will wiggle and try to get to it faster than we can
carry him to the dish.

His fur is thinning a lot and his feet are bald in spots. We thought
it was adrenal disease and had a Deslorin Implant put in a few months
ago. So far nothing has changed as to his fur pattern except a little
thinner. The bottom of his tail is bald but there is still fur on the
other three sides (thin but not bald).

He is alert and playful and dances and is curious about everything. He
does seem to sleep more during play time than the rest of the ferrets.
We have had his glucose checked and it was pretty good for an
insulinomic ferret (I can't remember the number right now). That was
a couple months ago.

Now the thing that is concerning me is even though he acts pretty much
okay he is looking scrawny (thin). He weighs 2lbs even now and he
normally weighs 2 lbs 2 ish ounces. It just that he looks anorexic.

One other thing he did have a spell last night where he did try and
vomit, we gave him some pepto and 20 minutes later he had his chicken
and meds and ate them without problems.

The ideas I'm thinking about are.

1) Its nothing he just looks this way because he has thin hair.
2) Lymphoma and he is hiding it very well.
3) Adrenal Cancer, which is why the Implant hasn't done anything for
   him, but he really hasn't lost much weight.

He is maintaining his weight but we also started to give him an extra
feeding a day. Two with meds and one before I go to bed. (6am, 6pm,
and 10pm).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Mike