From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 22:49:14 EST
It's 4:30 a.m. on Christmas morning and I am braving the cold .... and
wow, it's snowing! Snowing on Christmas Day in Hernando, MS. The news
anchor would later tell me that it has only snowed here like three
times in 100 years. No one is out except me, it seems. I pull into the
drive of a rental duplex that has been loaned to me and Joe since a few
days before Thanksgiving. It's a nice 72 or so inside and Christmas
lights inside two rooms twinkle and the radio plays Christmas tunes
quietly.. . one of my favorites comes on, "Christmas In Dixie" by
Alabama. It almost seems magical....this, their first Christmas....

I turn on the lights and 33 ferrets start to stir a bit. I turn up the
heat a few degrees and go from cage to cage announcing that its
Christmas and they need to wake up so they can get out and play and see
what Santa has brought them. I bring in boxes and a huge ferret play
tower. All from their Santas.....people around the country have sent
them ferret toys, goodies, and bedding. I smile and cannot wait until
they see all of their new toys and anticipate the ferret joy that will
soon take place.

You see, I have two locations now....the house shelter and this
off-site shelter that is a temporary home for these little one, that
is, until mid-January. I wanted to quarantine these little ones and
allow them to get fam iliar with being inside and all of the smells and
noises associated with being inside a home. For up until most recently,
these ferrets have always been outside in all types of weather and with
little or no human contact. They were once backyard breeder ferrets.
Never knowing toys, treats, warm-soft clean bedding.....or even good
healthy ferret food. They barely had food and water of any type as
evidenced by their very very poor condition upon surrender. Most were
emaciated. None have ever had medical care.

 .. none were just loved and cared for, they were just a means to make
money for their former owners... we've seen this before.

They are as follows: 13 jills; 12 hobbs; and 8 kits - litters of 5 and
3. The hobbs have all been altered and as well as 6 of the jills. The
remaining jills took longer to gain strength and the kits just needed
to mature. Those ferrets will be spayed and neutered next month. They
have all been vet checked and ...now have all been vaccinated, finally.
Many of these are older ferrets and it's a miracle they are alive.
Alas, for 10, I was too late. The cages and outdoor chambers that once
were the jails for these kids have all been destroyed.

Liberated from horrible horrible conditions, they are gaining strength
every day now. It was touch-and-go for a few of the older girls for a
few weeks but with round-the-clock care by vet techs and fabulous care
by two veterinarians, all of the rescued ferrets will survive. They are
learning to be ferrets now and some are better at it than some of the
others! For those of you not in rescue, there is nothing in this world
more wonderful than seeing ferrets who were once sad, depressed, and
lacking will to live - let alone play and be happy for any reason -
evolve into ferrets that now play like any other pet ferret. Tears of
joy are daily now as I watch one ferret after another learn to "war
dance" and to play with toys. Ferrets do smile.

This has been a long and frustrating journey for me and for Joe. Poor
Joe. Since we have been together, especially this year with the
flooding ferrets and now the rescued backyard breeder ferrets, he has
endured with me the heartache and joys of ferret rescue here. I have
been looking for these people for a long time. They would sell their
kits at flea markets and such all across the mid-Mississippi area. I
actually talked with them nearly 8 years ago at a First Monday flea
market......I never forgot them and was determined to find them and
close their business. I have shut down two back yard breeders here in
Mississippi. These people had far more ferrets than the lady I closed
is Southaven nearly 5 years ago. She also had Prarie Dogs, believe it
or not.

Because most of these kids are older ferrets and with dental issues, I
doubt that they will be adoptable once all of them have been altered
and finally medically cleared. My numbers have now doubled - but the
looks in the eyes of these little ones tell me all that I need to know,
it is worth every bit of the sacrifice. It's going to be tight
quarters, but we will make it work.

Yes, there is a Santa - these kids had many Santas! A great big
whiskered kiss and warm fuzzie hugs to all of our Santas who sent us
toys, treats, food, bedding, and - wow a ferret play tower! I cannot
express my gratitude enough for all of the kindness given for these
kids. Thank you - thank you! Words just don't seem to be
enough.....but, thanks.

I am a day late getting this posting out, apologies to those of you
that were promised this for Christmas Day....I fell asleep after all of
the daily comings and goings plus I put off all of my shopping until
the last two days. And I awoke after midnight and by then it was past
the deadline. Sorry.

Merry Christmas to all of you in the ferret community. Merry Christmas
from all of us here in Hernando, MS. I got my Christmas wish a little
early this year, this their first Christmas.....

Maren Qualls
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS