From:
Micheal Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:00:29 -0800
Greetings All,

This is in response to what Lisette wrote to Alicia at FerretWise. I
don't post on here much so most of you won't know of me and the little
rescue operation I started about 7 years ago.

To Alicia, I too would like to offer my deepest condolences on the
loss of one of your little ones. I know it's painful and heartbreaking
especially if your furkid was with you very long at all plus if there
was illness and medical care administered by you it's likely more
difficult for your heart to bear. I haven't lost one yet but I had one
that I adopted out get murdered, which caused me to alter our policies
and now it's next to impossible to get one of our babies. I think her
death was quick, no more than a minute but I'm sure that was the
longest minute of that sweet babies little life! It broke my heart
then and I still have a deep and painful scar on my heart for her!
Now our operation is more of a sanctuary.

We have only 29 fur-babies here that we care for, one I paid full price
for at Petco. That one was purchased for my 18 year old daughter and is
the one that made me fall in love with the species. During the course
of accepting/rescuing ferrets back in the early days of it all, I paid
$50 to a girl to keep her from posting an ad in the paper for Sam, an
albino boy. I also adopted Lucy from Petco and made a $10.00 donation
but other than that the rest were relinquished, usually with a donation
to us. Most of these ferrets were "free" to us and I can tell you
this...whether I paid money to have them here or received a donation
to take them in, I truely LOVE THEM DEARLY, each and every one! I have
here Jack, his story is on our website.: ferretrescueandadoption.com &
some is written about him on the Giving Tree in the ferrets of Ferret
Rescue and Adoption of South Texas. Jack was very sick when he came
here...IBD, Adrenal Disease & Insulinoma! He was very thin and only
about 13 ounces. He's been here a little over a year and a half and
I've had to give him Pred when his IBD flares and also I give it to him
for his Insulinoma. What I'm trying to get across to y'all is that I
care for him much like a nurse does their patient and this strengthens
my feelings & love for him! This is what shelter operators do all the
time and everyone should understand that those of us that rescue, take
in sick ones all the time and we suffer losing our little ones to the
Rainbow Bridge much more often than ferret lovers/owners do for that
very reason, but our hearts aren't hardened because of it, we just cry
more than most of you. Jack and his sister Jill are 8+ and I'm really
going to miss them when their times come, and there's going to be a
huge hole in my heart when it happens, especially for Jack! He's an
Angel, the sweetest tiny little boy you could ever meet! We took in
most of these babies we have here a couple years ago when I put up the
website and curiously, they were all around three years old when we
did, so if we weren't lied to I'm going to have a period where I'm
going to lose many to the bridge in a short period of time! I don't
look forward to it because I know it's going to be very painful for
me. I love them all and I can recognize and name each and every one
instantly. I just want everyone to know shelter operators do fall in
love with their rescues, and it's just as strong a love as anyone
else's is for their ferrets.

God Bless You all and Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,
Micheal Forrest,
Ferret Rescue and Adoption of South Texas
www.ferretrescueandadoption.com